Residential Counselor functions as a team member apart of the residential team. The Residential Counselor is responsible for providing or assisting residents in accessing support services, Community integration, life skill training, housing maintenance, entitlement assistance, transportation, and other needed services, and supporting their efforts towards recovery. The Residential Counselor works collaboratively with the mental health treatment provider. Provides services incorporating recovery principles, supporting clients in their ability to live, work and contribute to their community.
The Long-Term Care and Mental Health Technician for ALF/DOH participate in a multi-disciplinary team to provide intensive rehabilitation services for mental health and personal care in the residential treatment facility for clients who have a mental/medical illness. Through the provision of a full range of residential care services and service coordination (including assistance with daily living skills, personal care, accessing community resources, psychiatric treatment and medication management, housing, transportation, financial management, socialization and employment), the Long-Term Care and Mental Health Technician assists clients in setting and attaining short and long term goals. Assists clients in becoming as independent as possible and utilizes a team approach by sharing insights and information while accepting the same from other team members.
The Residential Case Manager functions as a team member is a part of the multi-disciplinary treatment team. The position facilitates group and individual activities, provides residents with training in activities of daily living and supports their efforts towards recovery. Position assists the treatment team in providing residential services to residents, working with the resident's family, community agencies, mental health treatment providers, and respective multidisciplinary treatment team to assess residents' needs and develop and implement treatment plans. Provide services incorporating recovery principles, supporting clients in their ability to live, work and contribute to their community.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide residential care services including:
- assist clients in acquiring independent living skills and addressing personal care needs, to include assisting clients with maintaining environmental and personal hygiene (assist with bathing, pericare and changing clothes);
- teach problem-solving, goal-setting, social skills and communication skills;
- provide discharge planning services, matching the consumer with community resources;
- transport clients, as necessary, in either company vehicle or personal vehicle;
- Work with provider sources on housing issues and supportive stabilization services.
- Provide a full range of housing stabilization/case management services to adult clients, to include:
- assess the level of functioning;
- develop (and update) comprehensive, insightful resident support plans with long and short term goals based on level of functioning, outcome measures and client needs;
- coordinate care, including outpatient clinicians;
- teach problem-solving, goal-setting, social skills, communication skills, money management and accessing community resources;
CORE FUNCTIONS OF ALL RESIDENTIAL POSITIONS
- provide crisis intervention services as necessary;
- assist clients to remain stable in the community, thereby reducing the use of hospitals or involuntary treatment services;
- inquire about medication regimes and treatment compliance;
- monitor utilization of services and the success of outcome measures.
- Maintains resident records in keeping with agency, county and state guidelines.
- Adheres to the policies and procedures of the agency.
- Attends professional conferences and workshops as appropriate to responsibilities of the position and program needs as designed by the Residential Director.
- Monitors day-to-day resident progress; intervenes in crisis situations with individual residents when necessary; keeps mental health center treatment providers informed of observed needs and status of residents.
- Perform basic office duties, be a presence at the front desk, and be available to address resident concerns during their office hours. Perform light maintenance in the common areas (e.g., cleaning up spills, maintaining general cleanliness, etc.).
- Work with facilities to coordinate work orders from residents, and communicate concerns or other resident communications to other team members and program supervisor.
- Relate to others in a professional manner, respectful of individual and cultural differences.
- Perform other duties as needed and/or assigned.
KEY WORK RELATIONSHIPS
Establishes and maintains positive, ethical, and professional working relationships with clinical team members, clients, and outside organizations. Relates to a wide variety of people including members of ethnic and sexual minority populations and is respectful of individual and cultural differences.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
LTC/MHT or Counselor
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- AA/AS in Behavioral Sciences preferred.
- No experience required if the educational level is AA or above.
- Minimum 2 years experience in human services or with special needs population required, if the educational level is high school or GED.
- AA/AS in Behavioral Sciences Required, BA preferred
- 2 years required unless a BS has been obtained.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS
- Strong commitment to working with individuals with a mental illness/personal care need.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Willingness to be flexible and work varied hours.
- Willingness to work as a team.
- Ability to learn new tasks and skills quickly.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter.
- Ability to manage crisis effectively.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES & REGISTRATIONS
- LTC - If position requires it a current Nursing Assistant Certification or current Home Care Aide Certification credential with Washington State needs to be obtained.
- Must be able to obtain a Washington State Agency Affiliated Counselor credential.
- Must be willing to complete First Aid/CPR training.
- Must obtain a Washington State Food Worker's Card/Permit within 14 days of hire.
- Washington State driver's license and insurable driving record required.
- Must successfully pass criminal background checks.
- Be qualified and get approval to drive an agency vehicle in accordance with Driving Record and Vehicle Usage Policies.
- Maintain appropriate training.
- Acquire and Maintain current First Aid and CPR cards.
- Acquire and Maintain current Food Handler's Permit.
- Completes required Boarding Home "Mental Health Standards of Care" training as prescribed in WAC.
- While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to use hands, fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The team member frequently is required to stand and sit.
- The team member is occasionally required to walk.
- The team member must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds or more with assistance.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Individuals must be able to engage vendors, team members, clients and others over the phone and in-person by voice.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work performed; it is not intended as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills for the position. Team members will be required to follow any other position-related instructions and to perform other duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State laws. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities necessary to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an "at-will" basis.
Send letter of interest, resume and salary history to: Recruitment@Sound.Health